Cryptocurrency has come a long way since Bitcoin’s genesis block. This role provides an opportunity to take charge of our newsmaking processes over the weekend and update our readers on the latest developments from the crypto and blockchain space.
The position is fully remote, but the successful applicant must be a native speaker of English and be willing to work during the hours of 9am to 5pm Eastern Time. The Weekends News Editor reports to the Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief.
- Monitor and report on the latest news and announcements that come out over the weekend, without bias.
- Quickly react to breaking news, turning around briefs of 100–150 words in 20 minutes or less.
- Manage and produce longer featured stories that fit into the “weekend read” category.
- Liaise with major companies, niche projects and stakeholders, conducting interviews and sourcing original and pertinent stories.
- Writing headlines and social media copy that draw in readers. Post the newly published articles on social media.
- Use our in-house style guide (a slightly modified variant of AP style) to copy edit all content.
- Spearhead creative new content styles.
- Ability to learn on the fly and keep track of day-to-day news flow in a quickly evolving industry.
- Deep knowledge of the cryptocurrency industry.
- Expert English writing and editing skills.
- Work well within a team and organization.
- Strong skills in interviewing and building relationships with sources.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of work experience.
- Ability to work 5 days a week (Wednesday to Sunday or Saturday to Wednesday) is a major bonus.
- Experience in reporting on breaking news.
- Experience in both working and publishing content without supervision.
- Experience in managing a team of writers.
- Non-English language skills are a plus, especially Chinese (Mandarin), Spanish, Japanese or Russian.
- A nose for a story and the instinct to ignore PR blitzes.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter attached to a brief email to email@example.com that explains your interest in the position and describes any experience relevant to the job.