About the job:
Cointelegraph, the most widely read blockchain and cryptocurrency publication in the world, is seeking a self-starting Weekend Editor to lead our crypto news operation on days that begin with “S.”
In this position, you will be shaping our Saturday and Sunday news coverage of the fast-paced blockchain world while maintaining a healthy dose of skepticism about it.
Candidates in New York City are especially encouraged to apply, but this position can be done remotely. Cointelegraph already publishes news 24/7, and we're expanding our editorial team now to improve the depth and consistency of that coverage on weekends.
We value news editing experience, but this is also an excellent opportunity for a reporter to transition to editing. The priorities here are strong news judgment and an unshakeable commitment to journalistic ethics.
Your workdays will consist of assigning weekend coverage to writers working those days, editing articles to be published on the weekends, and writing and covering any news yourself.
Cointelegraph’s new weekend editor position will be a big part of our publication’s overall forward momentum. We are a growing company that can offer opportunities for promotion and professional development. We look forward to hearing from you!
You're a journalist who is enthusiastic about new technology but can cut through the hype to determine what's actually interesting and newsworthy. You're not shy about picking up the phone to get comments from companies and experts while on deadline. You know when a story can be aggregated and when it requires real reporting. You care equally about getting stories right and getting them first. You're energized by covering the day's most important news.
You speak English as a first language. You’re highly familiar with blockchain and cryptocurrency topics. You have strong, informed opinions on what is or is not a Cointelegraph story. Having a long list of contacts in the crypto industry also helps a lot!
- At least two years covering business, technology, or finance in a reporting or editing capacity
- A solid understanding of blockchain technology
Nice to have:
- Experience writing about blockchain and cryptocurrency
- An ability to go deep on company financials, product specifications, and regulations as they pertain to the crypto/blockchain world
- Management experience
- Proficiency in languages like Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, German, or Chinese
- Track the day’s breaking news and decide which items deserve coverage
- Write, assign and edit breaking news items as needed