At Uphold, our mission is to establish a trusted, consumer-focused platform that creates easy and fair access to financial services worldwide. Since inception, we have fought to provide a fairer, easier and more affordable system. We favor speed, simplicity and ease of use over complexity. We put security and transparency first. Our commitment to transparency sets a new standard for the industry. Unlike banks, we are fully reserved, and transparent: we hold assets to match our obligations and publish both in real time.
As Senior Backend Engineer you will be joining a team of makers that are passionate about technology with a great sense of responsibility. Every day we focus on building and improving our systems with scalability in mind based on these three core principles: maintainability, performance, and security. We stand by the idea that source code is a liability, not an asset, so we do our best to keep things simple while making sure they can achieve the desired outcome. We are continuously challenging ourselves, both individually and as a team, to never stop learning. We work collaboratively with a collective code ownership mindset to design and implement complex technical projects, balancing speed with quality, learning from our past mistakes and allowing everyone to take the challenge they see fit.
- Working closely with product managers and key stakeholders to understand requirements and propose solutions.
- Designing and developing high-quality, maintainable and scalable code.
- Prospecting and driving the introduction of new technologies.
- Working as part of cross-functional teams to develop specifications, model processes and write technical design documents for new projects.
- Proven background (3-5 years) in a Software Engineering role addressing complex architectural problems with intuitive but straightforward designs that promotes composable and maintainable code.
- Experience working in different phases of the software development cycle, such as planning, design, implementation, deployment and post-deployment stabilization.
- Solid understanding of High Availability, Systems Design and Architecture.
- Experience with relational (preferably PostgreSQL) and/or non-relational databases (e.g. Redis).
- Experience with message queues (e.g. Kafka, NSQ or RabbitMQ).
- Test-driven development mindset and Continuous Integration (CI) pipelines.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English (both written and spoken).
- Excellent communication skills and a team player with an ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Bonus if you have experience in:
- More than one coding language.
- Developing software on the Node.js ecosystem.
- Tuning and optimizing SQL queries.
- Working in the fintech space and building financial products.
- Blockchain and other cryptocurrency technologies.
- Contributing to open-source projects.
- Application security best practices.
- BS or advanced degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
Uphold is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.