LMAX Group is a FinTech company that designs, develops, builds and runs leading edge financial exchanges in major financial centres around the world, specialising in both fiat and crypto-currencies. We’re growing and expanding into new areas and need you to help us.
Our core product is ultra-low latency, high frequency trading platforms. We also handle a lot of market data, and so we run a lot of bare-metal servers.
We want an energetic and passionate engineer to bring new skills and perspectives to complement our Information Systems team. We are made up of Systems, Networks and Security Specialists whose job is to build and maintain LMAX’s infrastructure, enforce regulatory compliance, and provide a stable platform for our state-of-the-art trading engine.
This should describe you
You’ve managed Linux estates, Fedora/RedHat/CentOS is better. You’ll be comfortable working with hardware, or happy to learn. We love Open Source, we support and contribute to it. We would expect you should too.
You love automating and optimising. It could be automation of deployments, or little scripts that make your colleague’s jobs just that little bit easier.
You love to learn, and you don’t shy away from responsibility. If the task requires rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty, you’re in.
You’re looking to progress; at LMAX you’ll start by being told what to do, but after a while you will grow into into an engineer that tells their boss what they’re going to do, how, and why.
What you and the team will be doing
- Provisioning physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure for a wide variety of business requirements
- Monitoring systems to proactively prevent issues arising
- Supporting client facing and internal infrastructure with a variety of OSes and software
- Business As Usual support and resolution of incidents
- Puppet development and testing in a continuous deployment process
- Scripting and automating processes to ensure consistency and repeatability
- Hardware upgrades, data centre design, and physical installations
- Hardware testing and performance tuning
- Low level TCP debugging for diagnosing errors and latency issues
- Design well documented, simple and elegant systems which are easily supportable
- Pair working to spread knowledge throughout the team
- Working in a follow-the-sun style support arrangement with teams around the world
- Participate in on-call rotation.
You’ll have some of these skills
- Linux – building, configuring, monitoring, automating
- Infrastructure-as-Code / DevOps culture practices
- Configuration management (we use a lot of Puppet)
- Scripting or coding (Python, Ruby, etc)
- Data-driven monitoring and observability (Grafana, InfluxDB, Splunk, Prometheus, etc)
- Managing CI/CD delivery pipelines
- Stronger than usual networking & TCP/IP
- Familiar with all things Cloud; automation, services & providers
- Familiar with hardware, performance tuning