BitMEX is the world’s leading cryptocurrency derivatives trading platform, which has pioneered cryptocurrency trading through relentless commitment to change, and continues to set benchmarks for innovation, liquidity, and security today.
As the world’s most advanced peer-to-peer crypto-products trading platform and API, BitMEX gives knowledge, confidence, and precision to hundreds of thousands of traders, transacting billions of USD a day.
Purpose of the Role
As a Senior Software Engineer you will have the opportunity to take part in being responsible for Integrating the different BitMEX business lines custody needs to our third party custody solutions, as well as designing BitMEX’s groundbreaking long term solutions. The Custody Engineering Team powers the custody of bitcoin /altcoin deposits, enabling many thousands of trading customers to make secure deposits as margin in our Trading Engine. Our systems are responsible for tracking deposits, creating withdrawals, and interacting with the base layer of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be responsible for defining deeply technical features and epics such as: The next crypto currencies/crypto network/blockchain to support, cold air-gapped wallet solutions for both our internal business lines as well as external clients, Integration with current third party custody solutions we utilize, and more. You will have to learn of new technologies and use-cases, and be ultimately responsible for the innovation in the fields of fintech, security, cryptography and blockchain in a rapidly growing product.
We are looking for a passionate Senior Software Engineer that will bring value and innovation to the firm, a technical thinker, a leader, an owner, and a team player with high standards, big ideas, and the ability to execute.
- Developing, testing, monitoring and maintaining decentralized applications, smart contracts, back-end systems, client-side applications and any other components that make up the application stack;
- Develop and maintain software to credit customer’s cryptocurrency deposits and prepare withdrawals in a safety-critical and high-uptime environment.
- Improve test coverage of existing codebases as well as engage in test-driven development practices with the team.
- Assist in architecting new cryptocurrency and wallet infrastructure relying on modern standards and practices.
- Documenting development processes, artifacts and best practices as well as blockchain applications or systems; and
- Employing a wide range of soft skills, including communication, collaboration, problem-solving, multitasking and working in a team environment.
- At least 10 years experience as a software engineer, with several years experience working as a team on a python codebase
- Strong knowledge of common algorithms and data structures
- Knowledge of bitcoin blockchain technology, experience in working with various types of cryptography to secure data.
- Familiarity with a CICD, code-review and pull-request based workflow
- Experienced with writing software that interfaces with a variety of network protocols, with awareness of appropriate threading/locking models, or asynchronous design.
- Deep technical understanding in security and networking
- Experience working on complex systems, with many components, interfaces, and use cases
- Experience in blockchain and digital assets
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving skills
Good to have
- Working knowledge of AWS & container-based software like Kubernetes.
- Experience of handling large datasets in python, perhaps with numpy or scipy tooling
- Transaction-level awareness of cryptocurrencies (scripts, signatures, utxo set, proof of work, fees, blocks)
- Use of type checked and code-formatted python, pytest and similar, CI/CD.
- Awareness of defensive software security practices
Join us, as we build a thriving cryptocurrency ecosystem through strategic investments in emerging cryptocurrency technology, and create the future of digital financial services.