CowSwap is a Decentralized Application (DApp) and Protocol allowing users to exchange digital assets directly (peer-to-peer) and via existing trading decentralized exchanges. Its novel design maximizes trade efficiency and provides a competitive way to ensure best prices. One of the core ideas is executing trades in batches, where users will trade directly using what is known as “Coincidence of Wants” (hence the name CoW). In the context of blockchains, batch auctions are a superior mechanism compared to continuous time trading, as they already execute transactions in discrete “blocks” every few seconds. In consequence CowSwap protects users from front-running and other value extraction (known as MEV). The mechanism also leverages the concept of “ring trades” to boost liquidity in highly fragmented and long-tail token markets.
Additionally, CowSwap allows for an improved user experience by facilitating gasless trades, not paying for failed transactions and adaptive routing in case of volatility.
We are an ambitious, fast growing and international team working at the forefront of DeFi. We believe that we can make markets both more efficient and fair, by building the ultimate batch auction settlement layer across EVM compatible blockchains.
We have been part of Gnosis since 2017 – one of the first projects building on Ethereum – and are now in the process of gaining our independence. We are looking to extend our team with high performers who are willing to take ownership and are focused on impact. If you are a team player who also strongly believes in the importance of integrity and long-termism of the ecosystem, you might fit right in.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated engineer to help us build the next generation of decentralized trading protocols. As a dedicated front-end hire, you will gain ownership of our existing suite of web products, as well as have the ability to influence the creation, design, and execution of future products. You will be responsible for ensuring a consistent, high-quality user experience across trading interfaces, data-heavy analytics pages, documentation portals and more.
You will have the opportunity to work with us on this challenge in one of our existing co-working spaces in Berlin or Lisbon. Alternatively, you can join us as a remote employee and work from your hometown, where we can also provide a membership for a local coworking space.
Our tech stack
Product code: Typescript, React, Redux, styled components,
Web3 development: Web3, ethersjs, Hardhat, Solidity, IPFS, TheGraph, ENS
Testing: jest, cypress, React testing-library
Analytic tools: Dune Analytics, Google Analytics
What you will do
- Develop CowSwap and other user facing applications (e.g., the CoW Explorer) on top of CoW Protocol
- Rapidly implement new elements of the user experience, with an eye toward performance, accessibility and quality
- Know when to create abstractions vs. one-off features, and when to leverage or contribute to the wider open source ecosystem
- Shape the roadmap of CowSwap by contributing feature as well as design ideas and helping to estimate and prioritize them with the team
- Push the boundaries of how decentralised a user interface can be. We deploy our products using the traditional hosted approach but also on IPFS/ENS and use other decentralised infrastructure providers (The Graph, Ethereum Nodes, etc) to reduce our reliance on centralised APIs.
Who you are
- You have 3+ years of experience developing professional client-side web apps
- You demonstrate strong software engineering skills that follow industry leading practices
- You have a thorough understanding of React.js’s core principles, experience with TypeScript, CSS and at least one popular state management library (Redux, MobX, React hooks)
- You know how to implement and maintain test suites for React applications
- You enjoy staying up-to-date & experimenting with React’s latest features and other trends in the ecosystem
- You are a team player, strong communicator and love to share your knowledge with others
- You own your career trajectory, you are proactive and independent
It’s a plus if you bring:
- Understanding of the Ethereum blockchain and ecosystem, general finance and/or game theory and mechanism design.
- Experience with architecting complex software systems
What we can offer you
- Flexible work environment: join one of our hubs in Berlin or Lisbon or work remotely with the option of joining a local coworking space
- Regular trips to reunite with the rest of the team
- Conference budget to keep up to date with the developments of the ecosystem
- Learning budget to support your higher ambitions
- Impact: you are joining a startup where you can make a huge difference. Your work matters!
We look forward to your application!