ChainSafe Systems is a blockchain R&D firm on a mission to realize the potential of Web3 infrastructure through sustainable, open-source development. Our vision is to create a world with organizations that empower people to build and innovate through blockchain agnostic tools and other distributed technologies.
We are global leaders in the industry, unique in our work across multiple blockchain ecosystems, and currently are pioneering cutting-edge technology and infrastructure.
ChainSafe is growing quickly and building a global reputation in this nascent space. Beyond offering experience across every major blockchain space to our team, we provide an open, inclusive, and supportive environment where we help folks reach their full potential as a human and as a professional.
As a member of the Legal team, the Legal Counsel will play an essential role in providing ChainSafe with legal advice and support across its business lines. The Legal Counsel will work cross-functionally with the rest of the organization to manage ChainSafe’s day-to-day and strategic legal needs.
The Legal Counsel position is an exciting opportunity to join a growing venture-backed blockchain startup developing important open-source technological infrastructure for many of the leading projects in the web3 ecosystem.
Challenges for You to Work On:
- Review, draft and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements with the Business Development team to align ChainSafe’s contractual relationships with its values and goals
- Provide business-oriented legal advice to stakeholders across the organization on a variety of business, regulatory and operational matters
- Monitor and advise internal teams on emerging legal issues and the associated risks to the business
- Collaborate with internal teams on cross-functional initiatives related to ChainSafe’s business operations globally
- Coordinate and correspond with external counsel on domestic and international legal matters ranging from employee relocation to legal entity management
- Identify inefficiencies in the organization’s legal operations and provide recommendations for process improvements
- Provide training to the rest of the organization on relevant legal issues, processes, and policy compliance
Qualifications & Expectation:
- Professional experience in private practice or an in-house environment (4 or more years’ post-call is preferred)
- Prior corporate law experience (familiarity with employment, immigration and privacy laws is a plus)
- Experience drafting and negotiating service agreements and other commercial contracts
- A law degree from a recognized institution and are a member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
- Interest in the blockchain industry and open source software
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to constantly learn
- Capable of multi-tasking and managing multiple projects by being flexible, organized and able to prioritize and manage own workload independently
Why Join Us:
At ChainSafe, we are a compassionate group of builders and makers, working to bring our ideas to life. You’ll be part of a team that believes in the vital importance of community and contributing to advancing humanity with open-source and decentralized technology.
We care deeply about our values and look for these in every team member: A dedication to self-improvement and professional development, a commitment to community and collaboration, a drive for accountability, diligence, and autonomy, and above all fostering a place of acceptance, friendliness, and compassion.
We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas
ChainSafe is a remote-first company with an international team. We offer opportunities for personal and professional learning and growth, value autonomy and responsibility, and have a results-driven environment, flexible work hours and time-off policy, as well as competitive salary.