Ripple is expanding its Global AML & Sanctions team and seeks to hire an experienced Head of AML & Sanctions Compliance/MLRO for Europe in its Ireland office. This role will be focused on building and managing Ripple Europe’s AML and sanctions program and helping to operationalize Ripple’s Europe-based crypto business activities.
Reporting to the Vice President, Global Head of AML & Sanctions in the United States and working closely with senior leadership in Europe, you will develop the AML and sanctions program, assist with applying for relevant licenses and registrations (e.g., e-money license, Virtual Asset Service Provider registration), prepare regulatory reporting submissions, respond to regulatory queries, and operationalize AML and sanctions compliance in Europe. You will serve as a subject matter expert to the business on complex AML and sanctions regulatory compliance matters. You will have worked/been working in a similar role in financial services and will have strong knowledge of the Irish and European AML regulatory environment and key financial crime regimes.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Design, develop and execute AML and sanctions compliance programs in Europe, ensuring the implementation of appropriate controls that reflect the business’ inherent risks and regulatory requirements.
- Develop business plans, risk assessments, and AML and sanctions policies and procedures for new products and services, and work with legal personnel to draft business applications to obtain the appropriate licenses/registrations.
- In coordination with the Global Head of AML & Sanctions, build Europe compliance operations:
- Build risk-based Know Your Customer (KYC), transaction monitoring (both on-chain and off-chain), watchlist screening, and regulatory reporting procedures.
- Lead the end-to-end implementation of new AML and sanctions compliance analytics tools, draft model documents, and perform annual model validation of KYC, transaction monitoring and sanctions screening tools to detect unusual activity and investigate and report suspicious activity in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Hire AML and sanctions operations staff, develop training plans, conduct capacity planning, track team and individual Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), regulatory reporting, and Key Risk Indicators (KRIs) for the program.
- Build relationships with relevant internal teams (product, business development, account management) to ensure that AML and sanctions compliance queries are responded to in a timely manner and that such teams operate in accordance with the latest financial crimes compliance standards.
- Oversee annual QA review and internal audits, coordinate responses to third-party AML and sanctions audits and regulatory queries, and lead remediation efforts of any resulting findings and/or corrective actions in a timely manner.
- Conduct annual risk assessments and make annual updates to policies, procedures, and other relevant program documents.
- Work with US compliance leads to provide strategic planning, organisational structure, and focus areas to meet quarterly goals and key results.
- Serve as the AML and sanctions Subject Matter Expert to the business, actively communicating cross-functionally to identify AML and sanctions gaps, implement controls, provide recommendations, and oversee any resulting corrective actions and program enhancements.
- Prepare reports to the Global Head, senior management, and the Board of Directors to communicate all relevant compliance issues and escalate any important or high risk compliance issues.
- Work with internal teams (such as legal, product, business development) to identify clear steps necessary to avoid regulatory risks and to provide solutions.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- 12+ years of AML and sanctions experience in a financial services firm, or related e-money/payments industry with experience to operate at an MLRO or Deputy MLRO level
- 2+ years of people management experience.
- Experience with cryptocurrency AML and sanctions program management.
- Strong operational knowledge in building and running a sound compliance program, with hands-on knowledge and an understanding of regulatory requirements for Ireland and Europe.
- Proven ability to understand complex AML and sanctions risk and operational issues and develop practical and risk-based solutions.
- Ability to provide practical, strategic and business-oriented advice.
- Ability to effectively present on AML and sanctions topics to internal and external parties.
- Proven ability to oversee multiple concurrent projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; at ease communicating and presenting to senior management.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Experience with technology and/or financial services companies.
- Must be CAMS certified.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work in a fast-paced start-up environment with experienced industry leaders
- A learning environment where you can dive deep into the latest technologies and make an impact
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, and vision with 100% employer contributions for employees and dependents
- Industry-leading parental leave policies
- Generous wellness reimbursement program
- Employee giving donation match
- Modern office location in Bank/Central London
- Weekly company meeting – ask me anything style discussions with our Leadership Team
- Training in our Headquarters in San Francisco, CA, USA
- Team outings to sports games, happy hours, game nights and more!
WHO WE ARE:
Ripple is doing for value what the internet did for information: enabling its instant and seamless flow around the world. We call this the Internet of Value (IoV). Using blockchain and cryptocurrency technology, Ripple is dedicated to creating powerful gains in financial efficiency, equity and inclusion. In addition, Ripple is developing and enabling the future use cases that will catalyze the new digital economy for governments, businesses and consumers.
Ripple has offices in San Francisco (HQ), New York, London, Mumbai, Singapore, São Paulo, Reykjavík, Washington D.C. and Dubai.