Chain is looking for an experienced and highly motivated blockchain Chief Legal Officer (CLO).
The Chief Legal Officer (CLO) will lead the company’s legal and compliance functions and staff, oversee and coordinate legal matters, ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and collaborate with outside counsel as needed.
Chain is an award-winning technology company that specializes in blockchain related services and software with production ready products in the market.
- Provide management, leadership, strategic direction and oversight for the Legal and Compliance functions and staff.
- Build a comprehensive legal team internally
- Utilize a broad familiarity with major legal disciplines to provide internal clients with timely advice and counsel to minimize risk and advance the interests of the company.
- Keep informed of relevant new legal developments and the evolving regulatory landscape around financial regulations and digital assets applicable to the company’s business – including global industry law updates, federal and state laws, regulatory guidelines, SEC reporting, token laws, and cryptocurrency – and advise accordingly.
- Partner with others to ensure public company SEC reporting requirements are met if and when applicable. With outside counsel and financial team, if and when applicable, prepare and review reports filed with the SEC under the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, including disclosures on Forms 10-K, 10-Q, and 8-K, Section 16 reporting and annual proxy statement.
- Advise on legal implications of different strategies relating to contractual relationships and product offerings, especially in the commercial blockchain application space and cryptocurrency token utility, providing legal support for U.S. and global commercial transactions. Act as a dedicated resource to our business and product teams, including driving new product approvals, with a focus on legal strategy and engagement.
- Review, negotiate and prepare various agreements.
- Partner with external subject matters and engage outside counsel as needed, acting as the interface between business teams and external assistance and managing legal assignments and expenses.
- Oversee the company’s compliance staff, program, policies, education, procedures and controls to ensure compliance and mitigate risk.
- Coordinate with the Chief Executive Officer and the Executive team to support corporate governance activities and liaison with the Board of Directors.
- Respond to reported complaints involving ethics concerns and violations of law, and conducting internal investigations as needed
- Juris Doctor degree and licensed attorney who is a member in good standing with at least one state bar and has ability to get a single client license in DE and FL as needed.
- 10 years of related experience as in-house counsel or in a large firm with a professional background in commercial transactions, ideally in the fintech industry.
- Strong knowledge in U.S. financial services regulations, with a working knowledge of corporate, data and consumer protection laws, Delaware corporate law, M&A, and corporate governance/compliance matters and/or investment management.
- Knowledge of cryptocurrency compliance and regulations is a plus.
- Supervisory experience managing, developing, and engaging staff.
- Experience effectively managing budgets and legal expenses.
- Strength in problem solving and applying legal insights to analyze issues and recommend viable options.
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to represent the company credibly internally and externally.
- The ability to stay abreast of the latest legal developments and provide counsel accordingly.
- Detail orientation, diplomacy, organization, self motivation, dependability, and good judgement
- A drive to understand the business, industry, and applicable regulatory agencies.
- The ability to help set the tone of the organization to ensure collaboration, engagement, and that a positive culture is maintained.
- Ability to communicate to the company’s community when applicable on social media such as Twitter
- Ability to work and communicate in a remote environment.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Able to establish and maintain cooperative and positive working relationships.
- Even-tempered and able to balance multiple tasks in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work sensitively and effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
The compensation package will include an industry competitive salary and bonuses linked to company performance. The benefits include unlimited PTO, parental leave, food catering, and health(varies by region). The position is a remote position.
If you are interested in joining a serious blockchain startup with global ambitions, apply via lever today.